Outdated comments around HandleFunctionRequest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Outdated comments around HandleFunctionRequest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

PostgresMain() has the following blurb for fastpath functions:
            /*             * Note: we may at this point be inside an aborted             * transaction.  We can't throw
errorfor that until we've             * finished reading the function-call message, so             *
HandleFunctionRequest()must check for it after doing so.             * Be careful not to do anything that assumes we're
insidea             * valid transaction here.             */

and in HandleFunctionRequest() there's:
* INPUT:*        In protocol version 3, postgres.c has already read the message body*        and will pass it in
msgBuf.*       In old protocol, the passed msgBuf is empty and we must read the*        message here.

which is not true anymore.  Followed by:
/* * Now that we've eaten the input message, check to see if we actually * want to do the function call or not.  It's
nowsafe to ereport(); we * won't lose sync with the frontend. */

which is also not really meaningful, because there's no previous code in
the function.

This largely seems to be damage from

commit 2b3a8b20c2da9f39ffecae25ab7c66974fbc0d3b
Author: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@iki.fi>
Date:   2015-02-02 17:08:45 +0200
   Be more careful to not lose sync in the FE/BE protocol.

Heikki?

- Andres