Re: make check-world output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: make check-world output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:14:36AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> What about just reverting 2f227656076a?
>
> > That works for me too, if we think we no longer need that level of
> > detail.
>
> A general issue with this sort of messaging is that when things are
> working more or less normally, you'd just as soon not see it ... but
> when you need to debug problems with the test scaffolding itself,
> you want verbosity.

Yep, and it's important for buildfarm logs to capture the verbose output.

> An entirely different big-picture point is "what the heck are we
> doing using a shell script here at all?  It is useless for testing
> on Windows".  Somebody should look into rewriting it in Perl,
> perhaps using the facilities of PostgresNode.pm.

The pg_upgrade test suite originated in an age when "make check-world" was
forbidden to depend on Perl; the choice was a shell script or a C program.  We
do maintain vcregress.pl:upgradecheck(), a Windows-specific Perl port of the
suite.  Maintaining both versions has been tedious.  I'd welcome a
high-quality rewrite using src/test/perl facilities.