standardized backwards incompatibility tag for commits - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject standardized backwards incompatibility tag for commits
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Seems like it'd be good to standardize how we're declaring that a commit
contains backwards incompatible changes.  I've seen
- 'BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE'
- 'BACKWARD INCOMPATIBILITY'
- a lot of free-flow text annotations like "as a backward-incompatibility", "This makes a backwards-incompatible
change"

Especially the latter are easy to miss when looking through the commit
log and I'd bet some get missed when generating the release notes.

Standardizing something that can be reliably searched for seems like a
good idea.  And then we should denote that, and a bunch of other
conventions for commit messages, somewhere (protected wiki page?).

Greetings,

Andres Freund