Re: increasing the default WAL segment size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 3/24/17 08:18, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Beyond that, this also bakes in an assumption that we would then require
> > access to a database
>
> That is a good point, but then any change to the naming whatsoever will
> create trouble.  Then we might as well choose which specific trouble.

Right, and I'd rather we work that out before we start encouraging users
to change their WAL segment size, which is what this patch will do.

Personally, I'm alright with the patch David has produced, which is
pretty small, maintains the same names when 16MB segments are used, and
is pretty straight-forward to reason about.  I do think it'll need added
documentation to clarify how WAL segment names are calculated and
perhaps another function which returns the size of WAL segments on a
given cluster (I don't think we have that..?), and, ideally, added
regression tests or buildfarm animals which try different sizes.

On the other hand, I don't have any particular issue with the naming
scheme you proposed up-thread, which uses proper separators between the
components of a WAL filename, but that would change what happens with
16MB WAL segments today.

I'm still of the opinion that we should be changing the default to 64MB
for WAL segments.

Thanks!

Stephen