Re: [HACKERS] Inadequate traces in TAP tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inadequate traces in TAP tests
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Inadequate traces in TAP tests  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> If you look at this failure case
> <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=jacana&dt=2017-03-19%2000%3A00%3A18>
> you see:
>
>     t/002_pg_dump.........1..4449
>     # Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
>     dubious
>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
>     DIED. FAILED tests 1-4449
>         Failed 4449/4449 tests, 0.00% okay
>
> That's really not helpful. We have no idea where things went wrong.

The detail is in the logs, which is where I discovered the issue with
collations not being supported on all platforms and added a check to
skip the collation tests on those platforms.

> ISTM that the test setup and breakdown code, both in individual tests
> and in PostgresNode.pm  should be liberally sprinkled with diag() calls
> to make it easier to narrow down errors..

While I'm generally in favor of adding diag() info into the testing for
when things go wrong, what I don't want to do is increase the amount of
output that these tests produce without good cause.  I really wish there
was a "quiet" mode for the TAP tests which didn't report anything when
things are 'ok'.

Thanks!

Stephen