Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regressiontests and code coverage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve pg_dump regressiontests and code coverage
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 3/20/17 08:33, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >> So was this 3340 line patch posted or discussed anyplace before it got
> >> committed?
> > I've mentioned a few times that I'm working on improving pg_dump
> > regression tests and code coverage, which is what these were.  I'm a bit
> > surprised that it's, apparently, a surprise to anyone or that strictly
> > adding regression tests in the existing framework deserves very much
> > discussion.
>
> I think we had this discussion about adding a large number of (pg_dump)
> tests without discussion or review already about a year ago, so I for
> one am surprised that are still surprised.

The concern you raised at the time, from my recollection, was that I had
added a new set of TAP tests post feature-freeze for pg_dump and there
was concern that it might cause an issue for packagers.

I don't recall a concern being raised about the tests themselves, and I
intentionally worked to make sure this landed before feature-freeze to
avoid that issue, though I believe we should actually be looking to try
to add tests post feature-freeze too, as we work to test things prior to
the release.

Thanks!

Stephen