Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-03-16 11:15:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The thing that actually made the ExecEvalCase code into a bug was that
> we were using ExprContext-level fields to store the current caseValue,
> allowing aliasing to occur across nested CASEs.  I think that in
> this implementation, it ought to be possible to get rid of
> ExprContext.caseValue_datum et al altogether, in favor of some storage
> location that's private to each CASE expression.  I'm a bit disappointed
> that that doesn't seem to have happened.

The patch actually does so - during ExecInitExprRec the "relevant"
case/domain testval is stored in ExprState->innermost_*, those pointers
are then stored directly in the relevant steps for
CaseTest/CoerceToDomainValue evaluation.  Unfortunately
CaseTest/CoerceToDomainValue are reused outside of domain / case
expressions in a bunch of places (plpgsql uses CaseTest for casts
evaluation, validateDomainConstraint/domain_check_input evaluate domain
constraints without a CoerceToDomain node).  I.e
ExprContext.caseValue_datum etc. aren't used for normal expressions
anymore, just for the ad-hoc hackery in a bunch of places.

I'd like to get rid of those usages, but that'd recurse into rewriting
plpgsql casts and other random pieces of code into a different approach
- something I'd like to avoid doing at the same as this already large
patch.

I've been pondering if we can't entirely get rid of CaseTest etc, the
amount of hackery required seems not like a good thing. One way I'd
prototyped was to replace them with PARAM_EXEC nodes - then the whole
issue of them potentially having different values at different parts of
an expression vanishes because the aliasing is removed.

> Eventually, I would also like to find a way to remove the restriction
> imposed by the other part of f0c7b789a, ie that we can't inline a SQL
> function when that would result in intermixing two levels of CASE
> expression.  An implementation along the lines of what I've sketched
> above could handle that easily enough, as long as we could identify
> which nested level of CASE a particular CaseTestExpr belongs to.
> I don't know how to do that offhand, but it seems like it ought to be
> soluble if we put a bit of thought into it.

I haven't thought overly much about this, but I agree, it looks like it
should be doable.

That seems to suggest my PARAM_EXEC idea isn't necessarily perfect -
inlining would cause aliasing again, but it'd also not hard to fix that
up.

- Andres