Re: [HACKERS] Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Write Ahead Logging for Hash Indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:

> >> Uh, what?  Growth should happen one bucket-split at a time.
>
> > Technically, the buckets are created one at a time, but because of the
> > way hashm_spares works, the primary bucket pages for all bucket from
> > 2^N to 2^{N+1}-1 must be physically consecutive.  See
> > _hash_alloc_buckets.
>
> Right, but we only fill those pages one at a time.
>
> It's true that as soon as we need another overflow page, that's going to
> get dropped beyond the 2^{N+1}-1 point, and the *apparent* size of the
> index will grow quite a lot.  But any modern filesystem should handle
> that without much difficulty by treating the index as a sparse file.

Uh, last I heard we didn't allow or want sparse files in the backend
because then we have to handle a possible out-of-disk-space failure on
every write.

If we think they're ok to do, it'd be awful nice to figure out a way for
VACUUM to turn an entirely-empty 1G chunk into a sparse file..

> There may be some work to be done in places like pg_basebackup to
> recognize and deal with sparse files, but it doesn't seem like a
> reason to panic.

Well, and every file-based backup tool out there..

Thanks!

Stephen