Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum andbt_page_items(bytea) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: pageinspect / add page_checksum andbt_page_items(bytea)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ashutosh Sharma wrote:

> Yes. But, as i said earlier I am getting negative checksum value for
> page_header as well. Isn't that wrong. For eg. When I debug the
> following query, i could pd_checksum value as '40074' in gdb where
> page_header shows it as '-25462'.

Yes; the point is that this is a pre-existing problem, not one being
introduced with this patch.  In SQL we don't have unsigned types, and we
have historically chosen a type with the same width instead of one with
enough width to represent all possible unsigned values.  IMO this patch
is doing the right thing; if in the future we want to change that
decision, that's fine but it's a separate patch.