Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-03-10 01:59:53 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 3/8/17 16:49, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> make check-world -j2 seems to run fine for me.
> >
> > Hm, I at least used to get a lot of spurious failures with this. I
> > e.g. don't think the free port selection is race free.
>
> I was also not sure about that, but as Michael has pointed out, that
> doesn't matter anymore, because it now uses a private socket directory.

Yea, I had forgotten about that bit.

> I have been pounding it a bit, and every so often the test_decoding
> tests fail in mysterious ways, but otherwise it seems to work fine.  I'm
> curious what you are seeing.

I do get regular issues, although the happen to not end up in visible
failures.  All the tests output their regression.diffs into the same
place - which means there'll every now be a failure to remove the file,
and if there were an actual failure it'd possibly end up being
attributed to the wrong test.  So I think we need to relocate that file
to be relative to the sql/ | specs/ | expected/ directories?

Curious about the test decoding thing - hadn't seen that here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund