Re: [GENERAL] import CSV file to a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Czajkowski
Subject Re: [GENERAL] import CSV file to a table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 08, Rob Sargent modulated:

> Yes Karl, I agree.  I admitted as much.  But if it's clean, as in
> free of quoted commas, life is much more simple.  I've lost site of
> whether or not the OP knows his situation w.r.t. to this.  The awk
> line will tell him and for a one-off load this can make a world of
> difference in complexity - two bash lines and a COPY.

Maybe I didn't understand your awk? I thought it was counting commas
in lines.  This isn't the same as counting commas in records.

    this,is,record,one
    "this,,","is
    ,,record","two
    ,,,"

this has three commas on each line and definitely is not suitable
for naive CSV handling.

Karl