Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Adding support for Default partition in partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 08:10:52AM +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3. Handling adding a new partition to a partitioned table
> >    with default partition.
> >    This will require moving tuples from existing default partition to
> >   newly created partition if they satisfy its partition bound.
>
> Considering that this patch was submitted at the last minute and isn't
> even complete, I can't see this getting into v10.  But that doesn't
> mean we can't talk about it.  I'm curious to hear other opinions on
> whether we should have this feature.  On the point mentioned above, I
> don't think adding a partition should move tuples, necessarily; seems
> like it would be good enough - maybe better - for it to fail if there
> are any that would need to be moved.

I see this as a bug fix.

The current state of declarative partitions is such that you need way
too much foresight in order to use them.  Missed adding a partition?
Writes fail and can't be made to succeed.  This is not a failure mode
we should be forcing on people, especially as it's a massive
regression from the extant inheritance-based partitioning.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!