Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
FWIW, +1 on improving matters here.

Andres Freund wrote:

> The best I can come up so far is a toplevel target that creates the temp
> install, starts a cluster and then runs the 'installcheck-or-check'
> target on all the subdirectories via recursion. Individual makefiles can
> either use the pre-existing cluster (most of of contrib for example), or
> use the temporary install and run their pre-existing check target using
> that (the tap tests, test_decoding, ...).

I think a toplevel installcheck-or-check target is a good first step
(though definitely lets find a better name).  Just being able to run all
tests without the need for 95% of pointless initdb's would be helpful
enough.