Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2017-03-06 19:49:56 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 07:05 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> > > I agree, but to me it seems the only fix would be to just yank out the
> > > whole optimization?
> >
> > Dunno, haven't looked into it.
> >

> I think it might be fixable by adding a flag into the chunk, with 'true' for
> regular allocations, and 'false' for the optimized ones. And then only use
> MemoryContextContains() for 'flag=true' chunks.

I'm not quite following here.  We only get a Datum and the knowledge
that it's a pass-by-ref argument, so we really don't know that much.  We
could create an "EmbeddedDatum" type that has a preceding chunk header
(appropriately for the version), that just gets zeroed out at start.  Is
that what you mean?

> The question however is whether this won't make the optimization pointless.
> I also, wonder how much we save by this optimization and how widely it's
> used? Can someone point me to some numbers?

I don't recall any recent numbers.  I'm more than a bit doubful that it
really matters - it's only used for the results of aggregate/window
functions, and surely they've a good chunk of their own overhead...

Greetings,

Andres Freund