Re: [GENERAL] Bad planning data resulting in OOM killing of postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Bad planning data resulting in OOM killing of postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 01:04:51PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > Nope, that pops too.  The query runs for a long time at a somewhat
> > normal rate of ram consumption, using ~1G of RSS then suddenly spikes
> > to about 6G, at which point the OOM killer pops it.  Box has 8G of ram
> > and 4G of swap.
>
> By any chance:
>
> - when it happens has the kernel considered using swap ?
>
> - which kernel are you running ?
>
> There's been (for some workloads) massive problems with RAM
> exhaustion / swapping / OOM killer going wild with
> 4.7/4.8/some 4.9 kernels.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may actually not be
PostgreSQL's fault but rather the kernel invoking the OOM
killer way prematurely.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346