Re: Wraparound warning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Wraparound warning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:32:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:19:26PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > >         LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
> > >
> > > I thought that was going to be removed at some point, no?

Latest proposal on when to remove it:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BTgmobOoo9a9tGbvXgnvZC_p_15sVNHu2mV9usbB_OLGRZSmw%40mail.gmail.com

Since we have outstanding multixact bugs, that proposal's clock of "a couple
of years" has not begun to tick.

> > Maybe what we should do (since this message obviously annoys everyone)
>
> It is a persistent reminder our of engineering failure.  I guess it
> should annoy us, and maybe that's OK.

Yep.

> > is change things so that, starting in v10, a message is logged at
> > startup if those protections are NOT enabled, and nothing is logged if
> > they are enabled.  Keep the message for the case where protections are
> > enabled later, after startup time.

I continue to find the message good as-is, per the thread I linked above.