Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Victor Wagner
Subject Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 11:36:31 +0100
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> > - It's pretty clear that this isn't going to work if the host list
> > includes a mix of hostnames and UNIX socket addresses.  The code
> > that handles the UNIX socket address case is totally separate from
> > the code that handles the multiple-hostname case.
>
> So should it be the case that it disallows UNIX socket addresses
> entirely?  I can't imagine a list of UNIX socket addresses being that
> useful.

Really, patch was implemented as TCP-only from the beginning.

I know only one case, where list of UNIX sockets is useful - test suite.
I have to include modifications to PostgresNode.pm in the patch to
allow testing with TCP sockets.

Also, I can imagine that people would want include one unix socket into
list of TCP ones, i.e. one of replicas running on the same host as
application server. But patch doesn't support it. May be it should be
clarified in the documentation, that this is not supported.