Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Stephen Frost 2016-10-14 <20161014113523.GZ13284@tamriel.snowman.net>
> > We have a tool called pg_xlogdump in the standard installation.  initdb
> > has an option --xlogdir, pg_basebackup has --xlog and others.  Renaming
> > the xlog directory would make this all a bit confusing, unless we're
> > prepared to rename the programs and options as well.
>
> pg_xlogdump is not a user-facing tool, frankly, so I don't believe we
> should be terribly concerned about either leaving it named as-is or
> renaming it.  I agree that we should consider adding alternative names
> to the options for initdb and pg_basebackup.

There's actually another instance of "rename so people shoot their
feet less often" here: pg_resetxlog, which is a user-facing tool.
Folks on #postgresql have repeatedly been joking that it should rather
be named pg_eatmydata, given the number of "howtos" on the web that
make use of it. Maybe this is the chance to find a less
innocent-sounding name. (Or add a mandatory --rewind-my-data switch.)

Christoph