Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 05:14:36PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2016 5:13 PM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 08/25/2016 07:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am relaunching $subject as 10 development will begin soon. As far as
> >> I know, there is agreement that we can do something here. Among the
> >> different proposals I have found:
> >> - pg_clog renamed to pg_commit_status, pg_xact or pg_commit
> >> - pg_xlog renamed to pg_xjournal, pg_wal or pg_journal
> >

> > I think the use of the pg_ prefix is redundant. Just a directory called: wal
> will do (for example).
> >
> > In reference to pg_xlog specifically, it should be wal. It is the Write Ahead
> Log, not the Journal (although I recognize they can be synonymous). All the
> documentation talks about Write Ahead Log.
> >

> Yes, let's avoid inventing a *third* name for it, please. It's already bad
> enough that we have both wal and xlog.

As far as removing 'pg_', consider that many users place pg_xlog on a
different device, so using "wal" would not be clear it was related to
Postgres. Perhaps we can have initdb --xlogdir use pg_wal, and maybe
document this suggestion.

http://enterprisedb.com