Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Fujii Masao 2016-08-26 <CAHGQGwHK2yimfLvG_WQ1Vrq2h+CMzgv5u6OEmxr-cbJRO+WKWQ@mail.gmail.com>
> > I agree on a hard break, unless we get pushback from users, and even
> > then, they can create the symlinks themselves.
>
> I strongly prefer symlink approach not to break many existing tools
> and scripts.

Symlinks might actually be worse than removing the directories
altogether. If your backup tool fails because the pg_xlog directory is
gone, you'll hopefully notice, but if you end up with a backup that
consists merely of a copy of a symlink named pg_xlog, you might not
notice.

Christoph