Re: Exporting more function in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Exporting more function in libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 19 August 2016 at 14:17, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>
> > I would like to proppse to export these functions in libpq.
> >
> > pqPutMsgStart
> > pqPutMsgEnd
> > pqPutc
> > pqPuts
> > pqPutInt
> > pqPutnchar
> > pqFlush
> > pqHandleSendFailure
> >
> > I think this would be useful to create a tool/library which needs to
> > handle frontend/backend protocol messages in detail.
>
> Shouldn't that generally be done by extending libpq to add the required
> functionality?

The thought that came to me was that maybe we need a separate library
that handles the lower level operations (a "fe/be" library, if you will)
which can be exported for others to use and is used by libpq to
implement the slightly-higher-level functionality.