Re: Re: PROPOSAL: make PostgreSQL sanitizers-friendly (and prevent information disclosure) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Re: PROPOSAL: make PostgreSQL sanitizers-friendly (and prevent information disclosure)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-08-22 13:16:34 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > So to me, it seems like the core of this complaint boils down to "my
> > sanitizer doesn't understand the valgrind exclusion patterns that have
> > been created for Postgres".  We can address that to some extent by trying
> > to reduce the number of valgrind exclusions we need, but it's unlikely to
> > be practical to get that to zero, and it's not very clear that adding
> > runtime cycles is a good tradeoff for it either.  So maybe we need to push
> > back on the assumption that people should expect their sanitizers to
> > produce zero warnings without having made some effort to adapt the
> > valgrind rules.

I don't think the runtime overhead is likely to be all that high - if
you look at valgrind.supp the peformancecritical parts basically are:
- pgstat_send - the context switching is going to drown out some zeroing
- xlog insertions - making the crc computation more predictable would actually be nice
- reorderbuffer serialization - zeroing won't be a material part of the cost

The rest is mostly bootstrap or python related.

There might be cases where we *don't* unconditionally do the zeroing -
e.g. I'm doubtful about the sinval stuff where we currently only
conditionally clear - but the stuff in valgrind.supp seems fine.

Andres