Re: WIP: About CMake v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-08-18 15:55:20 -0400, Christian Convey wrote:
> * Allow the CMake-based build system to assume a fairly modern version
> of CMake.  (Maybe 2.8.12, or 3.0.)
>
> * For systems where the minimum CMake version isn't readily available,
> have an alternative build system which is just a simplistic Bash
> script that naively performs a full build every time it's invoked.
> The idea being that PG contributors are mostly the people who want
> efficient rebuilds, and most/all of them could easily install that
> minimal CMake version.

The benefit cmake brings to the table, from my pov, is that it allows to
get rid of somewhat a parallel buildsystem (msvc / windows, which
sources most of its information from the makefiles). If we continue to
have two, especially if they're entirely separate, I see little benefit
in this whole endeavor.