Re: Wait events monitoring future development - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Wait events monitoring future development
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug  9, 2016 at 04:17:28AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> > I used to think of that this kind of features should be enabled by default,
> > because when I was working at the previous company, I had only few features
> > to understand what is happening inside PostgreSQL by observing production
> > databases. I needed those features enabled in the production databases when
> > I was called.
> >
> > However, now I have another opinion. When we release the next major release
> > saying 10.0 with the wait monitoring, many people will start their benchmark
> > test with a configuration with *the default values*, and if they see some
> > performance decrease, for example around 10%, they will be talking about
> > it as the performance decrease in PostgreSQL 10.0. It means PostgreSQL will
> > be facing difficult reputation.
> >
> > So, I agree with the features should be disabled by default for a while.
>
> I understand your feeling well.  This is a difficult decision.  Let's hope for trivial overhead.

I think the goal is that some internal tracking can be enabled by
default and some internal or external tool can be turned on and off to
get more fine-grained statistics about the event durations.

http://enterprisedb.com