Re: Using both ident and password in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: Using both ident and password in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 10 May 2016 11:20:05 -0400
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 May 2016 10:46:39 -0400
> George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Linux (or Unix) you'd set up a forwarding record in iptables that
> > redirects a second port to Postgresql.
>
> Forwarding to a different host is bad enough without explaining
> different ports.  I think my idea will do the job cleanly, or at least
> as cleanly as I can expect.
>
> > I don't know offhand a way to do that on Windows, but I presume that
> > it is possible.
>
> Luckily I could care less about Windows or Linux for that matter.
> Unix is all I run on my servers.

Just to finish off this topic, I went with the alias method.  Both the
client and server now have aliases on a new private network and the PHP
scripts will have to connect to the new alias.  Since that causes the
remote machine to also be seen as the aliased IP it does not match the
real IP which uses ident so a password (md5) is required.  Works great.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.