Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"  (Francisco Olarte <folarte@peoplecall.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 3 May 2016 23:11:06 -0500
Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any other thoughts?

I like this quote from Fred Brooks :

`Show me your code and conceal your data structures, and I shall continue to be mystified. Show me your data
structures,and I won't usually need your code; it'll be obvious.'

It seems to be confirmed by some rather qualified people :

http://lwn.net/Articles/193245/

I write management applications for businesses, and give _a lot_ of care to the database structure. I find that the
numberof lines of code that need to be written is strictly inversely correlated to the appropriateness of the database
design(meaning that the better the database structure, the lesser code is needed).

Knowing about the many fine functions Postgresql offers also helps, of course.

--
                    Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://libremen.com
Logiciels de gestion, libres