Re: Protocol buffer support for Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Protocol buffer support for Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:06:11PM -0700, 陈天舟 wrote:
> I am interested in adding Protocol Buffer support for Postgres. Protocol
> Buffer occupies less space than JSON. More importantly, it has schema and
> is forward/backward compatible. All these make it a very good format for
> persistency.

Thanks for the idea.  There are many different serializations, some of
which are listed below, each with their own qualities, which can be
good or bad with a very strong dependency on context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_data_serialization_formats

Should we see about making a more flexible serialization
infrastructure?  What we have is mostly /ad hoc/, and has already
caused real pain to the PostGIS folks, this even after some pretty
significant and successful efforts were made in this direction.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!