Re: Suspicious behaviour on applying XLOG_HEAP2_VISIBLE. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Suspicious behaviour on applying XLOG_HEAP2_VISIBLE.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for looking into this.

On 2016-04-26 11:43:06 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > ISTM we should additionally replace the CacheInvalidateSmgr() with a
> > CacheInvalidateRelcache() and document that that implies an smgr
> > invalidation.  Alternatively we could log smgr (and relmapper)
> > invalidations as well, but that's not quite non-invasive either; but
> > might be a good long-term idea to keep things simpler.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Yeah, this looks like a good idea at the end.

You mean the bit about making smgr invalidations logged?

> As the invalidation patch is aimed at being backpatched, this may be
> something to do as well in back-branches.

I'm a bit split here. I think forcing processing of invalidations at
moments they've previously never been processed is a bit risky for the
back branches. But on the other hand relcache invalidations are only
processed at end-of-xact, which isn't really correct for the code at
hand :/

Greetings,

Andres Freund