Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 06:22:47PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:08:23PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > I won't have time to do the bigger rewrite/reordeirng by then, but I can
> > > certainly commit to having the smaller updates done to cover the new
> > > functionality in less than a week.

> There is some duplication between the non-exclusive and exclusive backup
> sections, but I wanted to make sure that each set of instructions can just
> be followed top-to-bottom.
>
> I've also removed some tips that aren't really necessary as part of the
> step-by-step instructions in order to keep things from exploding in size.
>
> Finally, I've changed references to "backup dump" to just be "backup",
> because it's confusing to call them something with dumps in when it's not
> pg_dump. Enough that I got partially confused myself while editing...
>
> Comments?

I scanned this briefly, and it looks reasonable.  I recommend committing it
forthwith.

> *** a/doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml
> --- b/doc/src/sgml/backup.sgml
> ***************
> *** 818,823 **** test ! -f /mnt/server/archivedir/00000001000000A900000065 && cp pg_xlog/
> --- 818,838 ----
>       simple. It is very important that these steps are executed in
>       sequence, and that the success of a step is verified before
>       proceeding to the next step.
> +    </para>
> +    <para>
> +     Low level base backups can be made in a non-exclusive or an exclusive
> +     way. The non-exclusive method is recommended and the exclusive one will
> +     at some point be deprecated and removed.

"I will deprecate X at some point" has the same effect as "I deprecate X now."
If you have no doubt you want to deprecate it, I advise plainer phrasing like,
"The exclusive method is deprecated and will eventually be removed."  That is
to say, just deprecate it right now.  If you have doubts, omit deprecation.