Re: Why doesn't src/backend/port/win32/socket.c implement bind()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Why doesn't src/backend/port/win32/socket.c implement bind()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Each test run uses its own custom unix_socket_directories, PGHOST is
> >> enforced to use it, and all the port tests go through that as well.
> >
> > By that argument, we don't need the free-port-searching code on Unix at
> > all.  But this discussion is mostly about Windows machines.
>
> Well, yes. That's true, we could do without. Even if this could give
> an indication about a node running, as long as a port has been
> associated to a node once, we just need to be sure that a new port is
> not allocated. On Windows, I am not sure that it is worth the
> complication to be honest, and the current code gives a small safety
> net, which is better than nothing.

If we need to fix the test so that it works in a wider environment for
Windows, I don't think it makes sense to remove anything -- rather we
should change the test as Tom suggests to verify that the port is really
free rather than just doing the pg_isready test.  Maybe the additional
test will be useless in non-Windows environment, but why cares?  It will
work all the same.