Re: pg_upgrade 9.6->9.6: column "amtype" does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_upgrade 9.6->9.6: column "amtype" does not exist
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure this is a bug, but before it bites back too late, I'm
> reporting it now.
>
> On pg_upgrading my catversion 201603111 9.6 cluster to 201603301, I
> got the following error:

>   pg_upgrade run on Fri Apr  1 22:50:07 2016
>
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking cluster versions                                   ok
> Checking database user is the install user                  ok
> Checking database connection settings                       ok
> Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
> Checking for reg* system OID user data types                ok
> Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok
> Creating dump of global objects                             ok
> Creating dump of database schemas
>
> *failure*
> Consult the last few lines of "pg_upgrade_dump_13007.log" for
> the probable cause of the failure.
>

> command: "/usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/pg_dump" --host "/var/log/postgresql/pg_upgradecluster-9.6-9.6-main.lLkW"
--port5433 --username "postgres" --schema-only --quote-all-identifiers --binary-upgrade --format=custom
--file="pg_upgrade_dump_13007.custom""postgres" >> "pg_upgrade_dump_13007.log" 2>&1

> pg_dump: [Archivierer (DB)] Anfrage fehlgeschlagen: FEHLER:  Spalte „amtype“ existiert nicht
> ZEILE 1: SELECT tableoid, oid, amname, amtype, amhandler::pg_catalog....
>                                        ^
> TIP:  Perhaps you meant to reference the column "pg_am.amname".
> pg_dump: [Archivierer (DB)] Anfrage war: SELECT tableoid, oid, amname, amtype, amhandler::pg_catalog.regproc AS
amhandlerFROM pg_am

The reason for the failure is that pg_dump knows that 9.6 installations
have the amtype column -- but on your older devel 9.6 install, it
doesn't exist.  To fix it we would have to compare catalog versions in
pg_dump rather than major version, but we don't that anywhere.  Anyway
many upgrades could fail depending on other patches because of the same
reason.  I don't think we need to fix this.