Re: PQsendQuery+PQgetResult+PQsetSingleRowMode limitations and support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: PQsendQuery+PQgetResult+PQsetSingleRowMode limitations and support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 05:57:33 +0200
"Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2016 02:57, "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com> wrote:
> >
> > I assume there are no questions about supporting a
> > similar functionality only without PQsetSingleRowMode,
> > as follows:
>
> Sorry, but I don't see what is your actual question here?

The question is whether or not the functionality of the first
script is supported.  I ask since Bruce was surprised to see
this working and questioned whether PG was intended to behave
this way.

> Both code examples are going to compile and work, AFAICS. The
> difference is that the latter will try to fetch the whole result set
> into client's memory before returning you a PGresult.

Thanks for the clarification.  For some reason I recently
got it into my head that the libpq buffering was on the server side,
which is really strange since I long ago determined it was
client side.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."                -- Robert A. Heinlein