Re: enum bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: enum bug
Date
List pgsql-general
Elein wrote:

Hi Elein,

>    * When an insert into an enum column fails give the person a hint as to valid values

> -- Lousy message.  Show enum list.
> insert into badinfo values ('green');
> ERROR:  invalid input value for enum rainbow: "green"
> LINE 1: insert into badinfo values ('green');

True, we could improve that, though it could easily get messy with large
enums.

> >    * Make enum_range to not be dependent on values in the target table.
> >      Remove/Obsolete enum_range( enum_column ) and replace with enum_range( typein regtype )
> >
> >    Workaround: define the enum_range( typein regtyp ) yourself.

Hmm, this is pretty clunky.  I don't think passing the OID of the enum
itself is a lot better, but if you use a regtype cast then perhaps it's
not that bad.  Perhaps we could have both functions.