Reloading pgbouncer and systemd - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Subject Reloading pgbouncer and systemd
Date
Re: Reloading pgbouncer and systemd
List pgsql-pkg-yum
Hello,

While working with pgbouncer under CentOS7, I noticed an incompatibility
between pgbouncer and systemd when reloading.

The current reload command is:

  ExecReload=/usr/bin/pgbouncer -R -q ${BOUNCERCONF}

But this command create a new pgbouncer process...and keeps it in foreground.
As the service type is set as "forking", in this situation systemctl just sits
and wait for a return code (maybe there's a timeout, but I did not have the
patience to wait for it).

Either add a '-d' to this command, or send a HUP signal to the process.

I prefer the second option as it doesn't create a new process that takes over
the sockets, but just reloads the conf file as expected. Much lighter.

So, imho, the pgbouncer.service file should have:

  ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID

Regards
--
Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais