Re: Replacement for Oracle Text - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Replacement for Oracle Text
Date
Re: Replacement for Oracle Text  (Stephen Davies <sdavies@sdc.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 02:49:16PM +0100, s d wrote:
> On 19 February 2016 at 14:19, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>     >     Ah, no. That's not possible
>     >
>     >
>     > ...not possible, Yet.
>     >
>     > PostgreSQL grows by adding the features people need and its changing
>     rapidly.
>
>     I wonder if PLPerl could be used to extract the words from a PDF
>     document and create a tsvector column from it.
>
>  I don't know about PLPerl(I'm pretty sure it could be used for this purpose,
> though.).  On the other hand I've written code for this in Python which should
> be easy to adapt for PLPython, if necessary.

Right, so you would write a PL/Perl or PL/Python trigger function that
would populate the tsvector column on every INSERT or UPDATE.

+ Roman grave inscription                             +