Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Graphic to visualize data flow between processes, buffers and files
Date
List pgsql-docs
Jürgen Purtz wrote:

> Recommendations:
>
>  * We suggest the use of Inkscape. It creates the above mentioned
>    format by performing the following steps
>      o File | Clean up document
>      o File | Save as | Plain SVG

As in the original discussion, this is probably too fiddly and the
resulting SVG files are going to be really ugly anyway.  I think the
consensus was that we should use some toolchain that uses a source
format that looks like actual source code, such as the dot or xfig
formats, of stuff like that -- which is "compiled" into the target
graphic format.

As I recall, what we lacked was somebody with time and knowledge to
actually produce a useful image starting from such a source, produce
Makefile rules to run the transformation from the Makefiles, and to
inject the image into the SGML so that it works in the HTML and PDF
outputs.  With such a proof of concept we're much more likely to take
this idea seriously.