Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:

> But you could also write SELECT relname FROM pg_class WHERE
> pg_relation_size(oid) > 100 * 1024^3, which is actually fewer
> characters.  Maybe pg_size_bytes('100 GB') is easier for some people
> to remember than 100 * 1024^3, but I'm probably not one of those
> people.

Nah, that might work for geek types, but I doubt it's the preferred
spelling for most people.  I think the proposal is quite reasonable.

If we were only catering for people who can do 2^10 arithmetic off the
top of their heads, we wouldn't have pg_size_pretty at all, would we?