Re: Building pg_xlogdump reproducibly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Building pg_xlogdump reproducibly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Andres Freund 2016-01-04 <20160104155125.GD28025@awork2.anarazel.de>
> > That's probably not the only non-deterministic rule in postgres, given
> > nobody paid attention tot that so far? At least transform modules added
> > in 9.5 (hstore_plpython et al) look like they might similar issues.
>
> I was wondering the same. At least for 9.4, this seems to be the only
> issue:

Seems okay to me, then -- the requirement that link order is consistent
doesn't sound terribly strong.

> https://reproducible.debian.net/dbd/unstable/armhf/postgresql-9.4_9.4.5-2.diffoscope.html

Ugh.  I guess this output is helpful enough given that it mentions the
offending executable; since our Makefiles are simple enough, we
shouldn't have much trouble finding the problem spot.  I do wonder if
the CMake conversion is going to cause problems.

> > At least transform modules added in 9.5 (hstore_plpython et al) look
> > like they might similar issues.

Hmm.  hstore_plperl uses $(wildcard) but only in the AIX and Win32
cases, unless I'm misreading.

I don't see any other $(wildcard) used to build executables; it's used
for tests and flags in many places, but that shouldn't matter.