Re: Fwd: Core dump with nested CREATE TEMP TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Fwd: Core dump with nested CREATE TEMP TABLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 07:22:13PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> > I am inclined to add an Assert(portal->status != PORTAL_ACTIVE) to emphasize
> > that this is backup only.  MarkPortalActive() callers remain responsible for
> > updating the status to something else before relinquishing control.
>
> No, I do not think that would be an improvement.  There is no contract
> saying that this must be done earlier, IMO.

Indeed, nobody wrote a contract.  The assertion would record what has been the
sole standing practice for eleven years (since commit a393fbf9).  It would
prompt discussion if a proposed patch would depart from that practice, and
that is a good thing.  Also, every addition of dead code should label that
code to aid future readers.