Centos Hot-Standby, different Startup behavior between systemctl &pg_ctl start. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Centos Hot-Standby, different Startup behavior between systemctl &pg_ctl start.
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hello,
     I am running postgresql on Centos 7.2, using postgresql from the standard Centos repository, which provides postgresql.

     My goal is to run a Master and a hot-standby server via WAL-file archiving, and the standby machine seems to be working prop[erly as long as I start postgresql on it via pg_ctl on the command line as the postgres user. The logs in pg_log collect lots of messages like:

"cp: cannot stat ‘/var/backup/WALarchive/0000000100000006000000FD’: No such file or directory"

but eventually i see a line like:

"LOG:  restored log file "0000000100000006000000FD" from archive"

and then it starts complaining about the next WAL file. Verbose, but I guess it's working.

     I got the pg_ctl command line right out of the postgresql.service file for systemd. The systemctl utility must be running the same command when I say "systemctl start postgres". But when I try to start postgresql that way, I see different (and not in a good way) results. Instead of the above I see log file  lines like:

"cp: cannot stat ‘/var/backup/WALarchive/0000000100000006000000ED’: Permission denied"

And it never seems to advance to the next WAL file.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to be able to use systemd, that's how the database will run on startup.

Yours,

Kurt Reimer