Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >> Here I attached the patch with the suggested changes.
> >> Along with line number, I kept the options column also with authentication
> >> options as a jsonb datatype.
> >>
> >> Example output:
> >>
> >> postgres=# select pg_hba_lookup('test','all','::1');
> >> NOTICE:  Skipped 84 Hba line, because of non matching IP.
> >> NOTICE:  Skipped 86 Hba line, because of non matching database.
> >> NOTICE:  Skipped 87 Hba line, because of non matching role.
> >>  pg_hba_lookup
> >>  (89,trust,{})
> >> (1 row)
> >>
> >> comments?

I don't like this interface.  It's nice for psql, but everybody else is
going to lose.  I think these should be reported in the SRF result set
as well; perhaps add a "mode" column that says "skipped" for such rows,
and "matched" for the one that, uh, matches.  (Please try calling your
function with "select * from" which should give nicer output.)