Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date
Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:48:04PM +0530, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, we need to consider to compute checksum if enabled.
> >> I've changed the patch, and attached.
> >> Please review it.
> >
> > Thanks for the update.  This now conflicts with the updates doesn to
> > fix pg_upgrade out-of-space issue on Windows. I've fixed (I think) the
> > conflict in order to do some testing, but I'd like to get an updated
> > patch from the author in case I did it wrong.  I don't want to find
> > bugs that I just introduced myself.
> >

> Thank you for having a look.

I would not bother mentioning this detail in the pg_upgrade manual page:

+   Since the format of visibility map has been changed in version 9.6,
+   <application>pg_upgrade</> creates and rewrite new <literal>'_vm'</literal>
+   file even if upgrading from 9.5 or before to 9.6 or later with link mode (-k).

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +