Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov  3, 2015 at 09:03:49AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> I think in that case we can call it as page info map or page state map, but
> I find retaining visibility map name in this case or for future (if we want to
> add another bit) as confusing.  In-fact if you find "visibility and freeze
> map",
> as excessively long, then we can change it to "page info map" or "page state
> map" now as well.

Coming in late here, but the problem with "page info map" is that free
space is also page info (how much free space on each page), so "page
info map" isn't very descriptive.  "page status" or "page state" might
make more sense, but even then, free space is a kind of page
status/state.  What is happening is that broadening the name to cover
both visibility and freeze state also encompasses free space.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +