Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO wrote:

> For instance for "random_gaussian(int, int, double)", it may be called with
> any combination of 3 int/double arguments, each one must be tested and
> possibly converted to the target type before calling the actual function.
> For overloaded operators or functions (arithmetics, abs...) there is also
> the decision about which operator is called and then what conversions are
> necessary.

I think we should make this as simple as possible -- in particular I
don't see a lot of value in overloading here.  I'd rather have it throw
an error and force you to write the double with a ".0" when the given
value is an integer so that it is parsed as a double, rather than
accepting ambiguous input.  Conversely, if you pass a double to the
integer options, raise an error.