Re: Checkpoint throttling issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Checkpoint throttling issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO wrote:

> >4) It's a bit dubious to only pgstat_send_bgwriter() when on schedule.
>
> No opinion!

My guess here, without looking, is that this was based on the idea of
"oops, we're late here for the checkpoint, let's do as less work as
possible to avoid getting even later", and thus skip some "unnecessary"
tasks.  I would vote for fixing this (and the SIGHUP issue too).  I'm
not sure how bad a behavioral change this is; IMO these fixes should be
backpatched all the way back.