Re: Parallel Seq Scan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 11:00:57AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > From what I understood by looking at code in this area, I think the
> check
> > > params != estate->paramLI and code under it is required for parameters
> > > that are setup by setup_unshared_param_list().  Now unshared params
> > > are only created for Cursors and expressions that are passing a R/W
> > > object pointer; for cursors we explicitly prohibit the parallel
> > > plan generation
> > > and I am not sure if it makes sense to generate parallel plans for
> > > expressions
> > > involving R/W object pointer, if we don't generate parallel plan where
> > > expressions involve such parameters, then SerializeParamList() should
> not
> > > be affected by the check mentioned by you.
> >
> > The trouble comes from the opposite direction.  A setup_unshared_param_list()
> > list is fine under today's code, but a shared param list needs more help.  To
> > say it another way, parallel queries that use the shared estate->paramLI need,
> > among other help, the logic now guarded by "params != estate->paramLI".
> >

> Why would a parallel query need such a logic, that logic is needed mainly
> for cursor with params and we don't want a parallelize such cases?

This is not about mixing cursors with parallelism.  Cursors get special
treatment because each cursor copies its param list.  Parallel query also
copies (more precisely, serializes) its param list.  You need certain logic
for every param list subject to being copied.  If PostgreSQL had no concept of
cursors, we'd be writing that same logic from scratch for parallel query.