Re: TODO list updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: TODO list updates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:43:10AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Probably the most controvertial change was to move on-disk bitmap
> > indexes to the "not wanted" section, though I kept the links in case we
> > change our minds.  I just can't see how they would be a win with GIN and
> > in-memory bitmaps.
>
> Yeah, I recall we discussed bitmap indexes a lot and we found there
> wasn't a lot of room to use them because GIN is just too good, it seems.
> Also, the patches that were developed had a number of issues.  Anyone
> wanting to develop bitmap indexes would probably be better off starting
> from scratch.

Yes, that was my conclusion too.  We have played with the on-disk bitmap
idea for a long time, but GIN has gotten very good in that time.

Are you suggesting I remove those links?  It is kind of odd to have
links to patches for features we don't want, or just keep it?

> > (I don't think BRIN indexes help for on-disk bitmap use-cases, do
> > they?)
>
> No, they don't.  I expect BRIN to be very bad in a limited domain (which
> is where bitmap indexes are supposed to shine), except under specific
> conditions.

Yes, that was my conclusion too.  Thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +