Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files
Date
Re: Proposal: pg_confcheck - syntactic & semantic validation of postgresql configuration files  (Amir Rohan <amir.rohan@zoho.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Amir Rohan wrote:

> it does fail the "dependent options" test:
> $ postgres -C "archive_mode"
> on
> $ postgres -C wal_level
> minimal
>
> no errors, great, let's try it:
> $ pg_ctl restart
>
> FATAL:  WAL archival cannot be enabled when wal_level is "minimal"

This complaint could be fixed we had a --check-config that runs the
check hook for every variable, I think.  I think that closes all the
syntax checks you want; then your tool only needs to worry about
semantic checks, and can obtain the values by repeated application of -C
<param> (or, more conveniently, have a new -C mode that takes no args
and prints the names and values for all parameters).