Re: BUG #13672: What is the purpose of the temp_buffers setting? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #13672: What is the purpose of the temp_buffers setting?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2015-10-12 13:37:16 +0000, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Personally, I would tend to think that the cases in which
> increasing this setting would show any improvement would be few and
> far between.

Huh? If it's set to a small value and you write a bit of data all your
changes will more or less directly have to go to the OS. That can be a
massive performance problem, particularly if the workload has some
randomness to it.

I think memory overcommit pretty much "saves" you from every process
using all the temporary memory unless needed. That's not to say it's a
good idea to set it to a large value in all sessions, but it's not
*THAT* bad.

Greetings,

Andres Freund