Re: Use EVP API pgcrypto encryption, dropping support for OpenSSL 0.9.6 and older - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Use EVP API pgcrypto encryption, dropping support for OpenSSL 0.9.6 and older
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-10-05 12:16:05 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
> > In short, pgcrypto actually used to use the EVP functions, but was changed
> > to *not* use them, because in older versions of OpenSSL, some key lengths
> > and/or padding options that pgcrypto supports were not supported by the EVP
> > API. That was fixed in OpenSSL 0.9.7, however. The consensus in 2007 was
> > that we could drop support for OpenSSL 0.9.6 and below, so that should
> > definitely be OK by now, if we haven't already done that elsewhere in the
> > code.
>
> I think we already effectively dropped support for < 0.9.7 with the
> renegotiation fixes; see
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130712203252.GH29206%40eldon.alvh.no-ip.org

9.5+ do again then :P

But more seriously: Given the upstream support policies from
https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html :
"
Support for version 0.9.8 will cease on 2015-12-31. No further releases of 0.9.8 will be made after that date. Security
fixesonly will be applied to 0.9.8 until then.

Support for version 1.0.0 will cease on 2015-12-31. No further releases of 1.0.0 will be made after that date. Security
fixesonly will be applied to 1.0.0 until then.

We may designate a release as a Long Term Support (LTS) release. LTS
releases will be supported for at least five years and we will specify
one at least every four years. Non-LTS releases will be supported for at
least two years.
"

and the amount of security fixes regularly required for openssl, I don't
think we'd do anybody a favor by trying to continue supporting older
versions for a long while.

Note that openssl's security releases are denoted by a letter after the
numeric version, not by the last digit. 0.9.7 was released 30 Dec 2002.

Greetings,

Andres Freund